Top Five Acupressure Mats For Relieving Back Pain
In today’s modern and sedentary society where people use computers and smartphones through most of their waking hours, lower and upper back pain has become quite common. For some people, back pain has become debilitating to the point where it became difficult to do simple everyday tasks. Conventional medicine takes a pharmaceutical approach, which is to prescribe opium-based painkillers to combat chronic back pain. Unfortunately, opium medications such as Oxycontin have life-altering side effects such as addiction and if such addiction is left untreated or at least rehabbed, it can lead to death by overdose.
For those not wanting to take pharmaceutical drugs, nor spend thousands of dollars per year on ineffective therapies, there is fortunately another solution. A much safer one.
In traditional Chinese medicine, acupressure has been used to treat many chronic conditions by correcting functional imbalances in the body. Acupressure is a way to send signals to the body to activate its self-healing capabilities or regulatory mechanisms to restore the body to its optimal state of well-being. Acupressure uses blunt needles or hard points to apply firm pressure to the nerve endings on the body.
Within the context of back pain, there are acupressure mats designed to stimulate nerve endings on your back and begin the healing process by improving blood circulation, increasing your oxygen uptake, decreasing muscle soreness, and promoting the release of endorphins — chemicals that make you relaxed and feel good. As a result, you will improve the quality of your sleep, metabolism, digestion and absorption of essential nutrients.
Using an acupressure mat does take some getting used to. When lying on a mat, you may feel initial pain for up to one minute due to the stimulation points, but once you get past the first minute you will feel its magic working through your body. To maximize the benefit, it’s essential to relax in a comfortable position and to breathe deeply.
There are several acupressure massage mats to choose from, all with many similarities but with some differences as well.
Acupressure massage is a very healthy exercise where you don’t need to overly-exert yourself and causing potential injuries to your muscles, tendons, and bones. Through flexible motions, you will be able to achieve a level of natural wellness for both your body and your mind. A spiritual relaxation that will encompass your well-being with meditative effect can be generated through yoga.
- More stimulation points
- Designed angles to maneuver to pressure points
- Good customer service
- Alleviates pain through cycles of isolated compression and release
- Portable and Lightweight
- May experience some pain for the first few minutes of use
- May be too small for tall people
- May experience more discomfort on bare skin or on a hard flat surface
With over 1,000 reviews on Amazon and sold around the globe, Spoonk is a leading brand for acupressure massage mats. Made of high quality cotton foam and non-toxic plant-based ecological materials that do not cause allergic reactions, each mat has over 6,200 stimulation points for relieving back, neck, hip and joint pain. These are highly effective on people who suffer from chronic health disorders such as cardiovascular disease, diabetes, and skin inflammation.
- High quality thick cotton
- Plant-based non-allergenic Eco Foam
- Comes with a carry bag and can be rolled up for easy transport
- 5 year warranty included with a 30-day money back guarantee
- Available in different colors
- Excellent customer service
- Can be painful for the first minute
- Can also be painful when getting off the mat
- May not be large enough to cover the entire backs of bigger people
Nayoya is another leading brand for acupressure mats with 600 reviews on Amazon, 71% of which have five stars. With 6,210 stimulation points, it helps your body rejuvenate itself from hard exercise and to relieve chronic pain, insomnia, high blood pressure, and muscle soreness. At only 1 pound and two ounces, it is light and easily portable for frequent travelers.
- Huge benefits for fibromyalgia sufferers
- Continued use results in better health benefits
- Light and portable
- No instructions on how long to use it in each instance or how many times per day
- Can be painful initially until you get used to it
The Zensufu Acupressure Mat offers the perfect solution for relaxation at home at a very affordable price. Like many top brands, it has over 6,000 acupressure points to promote the wellbeing of people suffering from chronic stress, poor quality sleep, fatigue, tense muscles, stiff necks, and back pain. This mat is flexible and can be used on any surface such as bed, floor, couch, and reclining chair. This product is not suitable for kids under 18, pregnant women, or people taking anticoagulant medications.
- One of the most affordable brands
- 6,210 acupressure points
- Best for relieving muscle tension
- Light and portable
- Made of natural and non-toxic materials
- Includes a carry bag
- May experience initial pain for the first few minutes of use
- Can decrease pressure by using a t-shirt or cloth, but benefits may be reduced
The Shakti Acupressure Mat has a distinct design based on ancient Indian medicine intended to achieve deeply relaxed and meditative states. This mat is made of 100% pure Indian cotton and the foam cushion is made of non-allergenic material to protect your skin from irritation. Used 20 to 40 minutes per day, it promotes the release of endorphins to stimulate the healing processes in your body while putting you in a state of stress- and pain-free relaxation.
- More comfortable than many brands
- Made of non-toxic material
- Produces warm heat to promote a state of deep relaxation
- Available in green and orange
- Works best on bare skin, reduced benefits with cloth is used
- May be painful on initial use
The above five mats are the leading brands for acupressure therapy which has benefited thousands of chronic pain sufferers, to their own amazement. You might be surprised how well it works despite the initial discomfort within the first minute. In our next article, we will discuss the best acupressure options with neck support plus additional add-ons that help eradicate back pain instantly.
Disclaimer: Please consult your physician before using any of these products and/or if you are unsure which mat is right for you.