What are smile wrinkles?
Smile wrinkles, or smile lines, begin as light folds or lines at birth and become more pronounced as a person ages. They begin just above the tip of the nostrils and extend down past the two corners of the mouth. In the beginning, they are only really visible when a person laughs or smiles — hence their name. Those with slightly chubbier cheeks might see them a bit more, but in generally they only get more pronounced with the following worsening factors:
- Smoking. Smoking cigarettes reduces the amount of oxygen that flows through a person’s bloodstream, causing more pronounced fine lines and wrinkles, particularly in the face. Additionally, the act of pursing one’s lips and taking a cigarette drag likewise tenses the face and adds deeper creases in the mouth region where smile lines are found.
- Sunlight. The longer a person is out in the sun, the more they expose their skin to harsh UV rays. These rays, while great for getting vitamin D, aren’t so great for those who want to preserve a more youthful facial appearance. Continued and long-term exposure to sunlight accelerates the natural aging process for increased facial wrinkles and creases.
- Age. This one is nigh unavoidable. The older a person gets, the more they use and move the muscles around their mouth, which means the deeper and more pronounced the natural creases and folds become.
For those who want to combat these causes of smile lines and reduce those pronounced smile wrinkles that already exist, consider the following wrinkling-battle tips;
- Add Antioxidant Foods to Your Diet. Eating the appropriate amount of antioxidants is key to preventing deep wrinkles from forming and reducing the amount that already exists. Great antioxidant-rich superfoods include broccoli, berries, carrots, spinach, and tomatoes. You’ll also want to add a good amount of Vitamin C to further improve elasticity and boost the overall health of your skin.
- Facial Exercises. Just as the right type of general exercises can make your body leaner, so too can the right type of facial exercises make your face look leaner and younger. Use facial exercises to target specific areas around your mouth to tighten and firm up those muscles. One example of a great facial exercise is to pucker and suck in your cheeks for a count of five seconds, and then repeat that move for a total of five times. Do this one to two times a day and you should notice an impact within two months.
- Anti-Wrinkle Sleep Pillow. The older we get, the more we sleep, an act that presses our face against a pillow to further create pronounced wrinkles. Anti-wrinkle sleep pillows are designed to combat this type of smile wrinkle formation for a more youthful appearance.