The minimum age for dental implants in Gainesville is when bone growth has finished. That means the minimum age to place an implant is when the patient’s bone growth has finished. Due to studies and on average, it is usually from the age of 16 in women and from the age of 18 in men.
After Bone Growth
What happens if the implant is placed before finishing bone growth? If the dental implant is placed and restored before the patient’s facial growth is complete, the fixation will behave like an ankylated tooth. The other teeth will grow and the bone around them alters. The single implant prosthesis will appear “intruded” relative to neighboring natural teeth. In addition, even if the crown is changed for a new prosthesis, a step will persist between the gingival margins of the implant until most of the bone growth process has finished.
The Best Method
The best method to know if the facial growth process has finished is to superimpose two lateral radiographs of the skull, which would be obtained sequentially with an interval of 6 to 12 months. When the adolescent patient has stopped growing (height), the first lateral skull radiograph will be obtained. Six to twelve months later, a new X-ray will be done. If the superposition of both shows that there have been no changes in vertical facial height, you will know that most of the facial growth has finished. Therefore, it does meet the minimum age to install dental implants.
Instructions After Dental Implant Placement
When the implant is placed, you must follow the instructions given below:
- Do not rinse your mouth for 24 hours.
- Avoid eating until after the effects of anesthesia and take the medication prescribed by your dentist.
- To eat, we recommend soft foods at room temperature. Drink plenty of fluids, chew on the untouched area, and avoid hot and irritating foods for the first few days.
- During the first hours of the implant, you will notice a little blood oozing from the wound. Fold a gauze, place it over the area and bite it for 1 hour (you can repeat).
- It is preferable to maintain a posture in which the head is higher than the body. For example, sitting or in bed with pillows under the mattress.
- The day after the implant is done, you can rinse your mouth (you can rinse with water and salt or thyme, or use a mouthwash for a week). You can also use a chlorhexidine gel by applying it to the intervened area.
It is important and highly recommended to maintain good wound hygiene. You can use a soft toothbrush on the wound after 24 hours.
The surgical technique of oral rehabilitation after a dental implant will always take into account whether the patient’s facial growth period has ended. If you have the absence of a tooth, or if you have lost a tooth, do not hesitate to ask about the option of dental implants. The first visit for a dental implant is usually a free consultation. It is best to do an initial consultation prior to the implant to get all your questions answered.