Tips for choosing spine doctors
Back pains are now very common that you can see these types of problems prevailing in the children as well. These pains are so acute that sometimes, the only option left for this is the surgery. You have to find the best spine surgery hospital in India to get the best of the treatments. As per the reports from National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke, about 80 percent of adults are experiencing low back pain at some point. Not all the back pain are serious, they can come and go by time. But sometimes the condition gets worse and by the time you realize, it becomes too late. So you need to realize what type of back pain you are suffering from. That’s why we are here stating some common types of back pain:
- Bulging or slipped disc. This type of pain is caused when one of the soft discs between the vertebrae extends out over the edge in the body.
- Pinched nerve. When a nerve is pressed right up against the bone, you will experience this type of issue.
- Arthritis. The discs in the back have the ability to absorb shock, but when the bones rub together and create bone spurs, they lost their ability to do so and hence this type of problem is caused.
- Osteoporosis. Sometimes, brittle, weak bones may break or collapse and as a result, they cause compression fractures.
- Referred pain. Sometimes when you are experiencing intense pain in another part of the body, the pain in the low back or groin is also caused. This can be possible with the common issue like of kidney stones, for example.
- Sciatica. There is a sciatic nerve which starts in the lower back and runs down the back of each leg. When this is pinched, it creates lower back pain and a sharp pain in one or both legs. This happens especially while sitting.
- Pregnancy. During the pregnancy, the back pain is very common and self-explanatory. Of course, you are carrying all that extra weight in the front which causes pain in the back.
- Fibromyalgia. In this type of condition, not only the back of the person is hurt, but the discomfort in the hole body is caused.
- Cancer. The people suffering from the cancer of the spine or in nearby organs are also likely to get this issue.
As stated earlier, not all back pains are serious, but if you feel like it lasts longer than 72 hours, or if you are feeling the numbness, tingling, weakness of the limb, pain after a traumatic injury, bowel or bladder problems, or unexplained weight loss, you need to consult the doctor. Now that we have come to the doctor part, let’s talk about the doctor in this area more.
A spine specialist is a health professional who is specialized and focuses mainly on treating all the spine conditions. The doctors are specialized and are known as chiropractors, physiatrists, physical therapists, orthopedic surgeons, neurosurgeons, pain management physicians, anesthesiologists, and many rheumatologists and neurologists. Now if you are suffering from the back pain, then selecting the appropriate doctor is very beneficial in relieving pain relief and minimizing potential complications.
But how to determine which is the best doctor for you? While there are many online rating for all these doctors, but they are not that much trustworthy if you are thinking about the health here. Therefore, you need to put the effort in searching the good doctor for the surgery as it will help increase the odds of getting a correct diagnosis and a successful corrective surgery. So, how to find these great doctors? While there are always lots of choices but do look at these three tips for your spine surgery:
Asking the pointed questions which are necessary for the surgery like surgeon’s qualifications and experience with the spine surgery you are considering. There are other questions as well which you should consider while going for the doctor for your surgery. They may include
- How many times are you involved in this type of surgery? As we all know that the practice makes everything perfect, and when it comes to the surgeries and operations, we look for the experienced person who has more surgeries because he knows all about the procedures and ways.
- Are you board certified or qualified? You can ask for the qualifications of the doctors and sometimes, you can have a look at the certifications which are hanged on the wall of the doctors for the surety.
- Are you fellowship trained in spine surgery? If you are going for surgeries like the fusion, an artificial disc replacement, or another extensive procedure, the fellowship of the surgeons is very necessary.
- What is your personal success rate in your career for this surgery?
- If I want to have a second opinion, who would you recommend?
- Can I meet the patients who have gone through this same type of surgery before?
So if your surgeon is giving some defensive answers and you are not completely satisfied by these answers, then it could be a red flag to the person. So always go for the place where you find confidence, as any negligence could be very harmful.
Double check and verify your surgeon’s skills and expertise. While it is hard to go for this but you need to have an active role in finding so. Try to get the past history of the doctor and the clinic.
The second opinion could not always be the best opinion. There is a common myth that one should have the surgery when you got the second opinion from another doctor, but that cannot be true every time. Go for the best option you find.
The surgeries are very crucial and you the best way to get them correctly is by having the proper diagnostics of the problems. You must consider all the treatments options-surgical and non-surgical after it is a matter of health and we cannot compromise with it at all.